Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Memento

I have spent the last two days trying to ensure all the music I still have on CD and want to keep is transferred to my laptop. In doing so I have unearthed a trove of mixed CDs. Most of them don't indicate who they were from but I can tell almost immediately who made them by the type of music (electronica was workmate John from my temping days, whole albums were Ted who just wasn't creative enough for play lists), the packaging (Jon's handwriting was feminine and neat, James had horrible taste in music but he put a lot of artistic effort into the covers) or even just the brand of CD (David always used Maxwell's and Steve Verbatim's). I've been enjoying tossing the odd one in and skimming through it - the Ex had a penchant for novelty songs that can strike you as funny again years later - but mostly they end up in the trash uncopied (sorry guys).

But there's one that I cannot place. It starts out with Norah Jones "Sunrise" then on to some Herbie Hancock. There's an Eva Cassidy cover of "Early Morning Rain", some Strunz and Farah and even Stevie Ray Vaughan's "Pride and Joy"(I am tickled.)

I love this album. I am baffled that I can enjoy a mixed CD this much and be so completely at a loss to determine who it's from.

The Dude crossed my mind, he's the only one I recall loving jazz as much as I do, but he was a carpenter, not a keyboard monkey, so burning music was not his thing. In fact he always bought music which, when you consider the innumerable other ways he found to break laws, is really quite a paradox. Besides, there are also no spelling mistakes on the neatly typed cover which includes time codes. He could not spell and was not the sort who worried about time.

Unfortunately, while both my computers will play the disc, I can only copy up to the seventh song. After that it runs into issues.

If it was you, please let me know. Maybe we can work out now what we couldn't before? Or at the very least I could trade you some bootlegged Lhasa for some more Silje Nergaard.

No comments: