Saturday, May 8, 2010

Sunbeams and Violet Rays

Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.
- Cree Indian Proverb

I am writing a novel that is set about two generations from now and food, or more succinctly, the food system figures prominently in the plot so I was excited to see the exhibit "Food Justice" at our local museum. My expectations were low but, though the exhibit was small, the art was beautiful, accessible and thought provoking. The globalized nature of our food system was well represented in works from Japan to India to Iran, and included artists like Alejandro Aranda and Bert Monterona.



I had the entire place to myself  and afterward I sneaked out the back door to the museum proper. The museum is actually a re-creation of a typical Mennonite village and served me well as a reference point while reading Pahlaniuk's "Choke" a few years back. In the summer the "streets" are lined with townspeople in period costumes, the blacksmith's shop is fully operational and you can buy sommaborscht, zweiback and platz at the restaurant. Schmeck's gut (gut pronounced "goot"= tastes good). On some Sundays you can even catch a sermon at the church, where the men sit on one side and the rest on the other.
But yesterday it was basically deserted and made a perfect playground for a (finally) sunny afternoon.







Our Diva is home and Ma and I were invited to the farm for the evening. After dinner (perfectly grilled steak, tender asparagus and mini roast potatoes schmeckt sehr gut) the Violet Ray, which promises to cure every "disease germ" known and unknown to man, made an appearance.





Among her many talents, the Diva mixes a mean martini and I think this may have been the one that tossed me over the edge and I started missing the plot of the evening.



I know for certain I didn't drink enough water which is why this post is more picturesque than verbose. Lucky you.

As for me, I am off to nurse my headache at the Diva's concert tonight, after which it's headlong into a whirlwind weekend of mixing, whirring and stirring. (Does anyone else remember the Kids in the Hall: Mix, mix stir stir marry young, it's all a blur...) It's lemon rhubarb cheesecake for the party tomorrow night, then I'm making Mother's Day brunch, the menu for which can't be divulged just yet. I'm quite excited about it though, for it's combined simplicity and creative twists.

No comments: