Friday, May 14, 2010

Stocking Up

I spent the day getting ready for my first extended stay at the cabin starting tomorrow. Mostly this entailed a lot of food preparation. I whipped up a half dozen of these veggie burgers, some gluten free buns from my sorghum bread recipe and, at the last minute a Chef (insert dreamy sigh) inspired pizza soup. I also adapted a homemade granola recipe from one of my mother's magazines to make it gluten free. It turned out beautifully. I have been gluten free for three years and have spent as long trying to find the holy grail of crunchy oatless granola and today I can finally say, no more $10 mini bags of sugary, specialty granola for me.

Crunchy Homemade GF Granola

1 2/3 c. stabilized rice bran
1 cup quinoa flakes
1/3 cup dry milk powder
1/3 shredded coconut
¼ cup liquid honey or maple syrup
¼ sunflower seeds
2T oil
2T water
1 tsp grated lemon zest
1/2 tsp vanilla

Banana chips (optional)
Raisins (optional)

Combine all ingredients up to the last two (optional). Mix well. Spread into a 13”x9” pan and bake @ 350* for 35-40 minutes until crisp and golden brown. Stir every ten minutes and drizzle with more maple syrup or liquid honey. Cool completely. Store in airtight container for up to one week.

10 servings, 1 serving = ½ cup

2 comments:

lwoodmass said...

So, where would one purchase stabilized rice bran and quinoa flakes? I'm interested in trying this recipe.

eris said...

I buy them both at Vita Health. Locally, you could try at the Good N Natural or maybe Mission Nutrition?