Friday, April 30, 2010

Post

I decided to treat myself yesterday to celebrate completing all my certifications. I finally settled- after much debate over trying some port or maybe brandy, is it too early for sangria?- on a German riesling called Bree and was not disappointed. It was the ubiquitous helvetica font and modern minimalist bottle design that swayed my decision but it's the crisp well balanced libation inside that's going to keep me going back.

My darling mother bought me tomatoes, feta cheese and fresh organic basil on Tuesday, even though she likes none of these things, so I made bruschetta for dinner and half a baked apple for dessert.  For me it's the simplest things that are the most divine.

I went out to my aunt's farm for the evening and finished my wine in good company. I was sent to bed in the wee hours of the morning with my new favourite word, "ungotten" indelibly altering the landscape of my vocabulary. (Un)fortunately the spare bedroom is also a storage room for books. I tried, I really did, but I couldn't resist helping myself to a particular Madmen era title.

I got home this morning in just enough time to sweat out my hangover before I had to pick up my grandmother and drive her to the city for a doctor's appointment. In the waiting room I perused my purloined copy of  "Emily Post's Pocket Book of Etiquette":

"Touring castles in Spain Every day will be far more enjoyable if you fortify yourself with a good meal and a comfortable night's sleep. .... Every traveler body will increase his enjoyment of his trip life if he attempts to make friends and exchange ideas with the people of the country he is visiting he meets. ... Sensitive perception of the feelings of others is something few possess instinctively. therefore, we must train ourselves to see the point of view of the people of each county we visit we meet. ... Our travel attitude also determines the amount of enjoyment we get from our trip days. Which one enjoys his travels time more - the man with an open mind, eager to see the best in each country moment and forget the inconveniences or the man who finds it too hot in Spain, broods all day because he had no hot water for shaving, or can't find a hamburger stand to buy his favourite lunch? Do not voice your disappointments in public; rather attempt to dwell on parts of your stay life that you do enjoy. Don't hesitate to show your appreciation and enthusiasm for the country you are in life you've been given." (excerpts from Part Four: Advice for Travelers pg 85, 103-104 edited additions mine.)

Page 91 admonishes "An inexplicable urge to pilfer small or large objects seems to overcome many otherwise decent, honest citizens when they are guests [in a hotel]. I suggest that any time you are tempted to take home such a souvenir, you say to yourself, "That ashtray book or bath towel is the property of the hotel and if I take it home with me I am no better than a common thief."

Fine, Emily, I am duly chastised and will return the book.

1 comment:

lwoodmass said...

LOVE! Keep the book, I just need to know the number of the box it came from. This is too much fun! Leona!