Saturday, April 3, 2010

Down the Rabbit Hole

"Even as an infant," my mother likes to point out, "you were fiercely independent. Long before the age most babies should know how to do such things you were rolling your way from one end of a room to the other."

This independence made handing over my apartment keys particularly difficult and these last few days have not been any easier as I've had to rely on the men in my family, who are both reliably unreliable, for help. Aside from feeling frustrated and helpless, I have no stomach for familial politicking particularly when I can see clearly, albeit in hindsight, that it's all unnecessary if I'd only been able to let go of some especially cumbersome things.

Still, I'd say the move went relatively smoothly. I fell down the stairs the day before the move while I was carrying some drawers down to the dumpster. The drawers were wide and awkward and I was unable to see the stairs as I descended. At some point I decided I must be at the bottom and continued forward instead of down. I was suspended in mid air like some cartoon character-Mr. Magoo or Road Runner- as my legs flailed about in hopeless search of solid matter. I then made the curious decision to retract my landing gear by doing hamstring curls and landed squarely on both my kneecaps rather than my feet. I threw my back out in the process and spent moving day in a world of pain; bruised and swollen, there was no good answer for it really but to suck back the Advil and cowboy up princess.

It was raining when I woke up so I considered myself blessed when the skies began to clear about ten minutes before the movers arrived twenty minutes early to pick up my bed. At the end of the day, after handing the caretaker my keys, I hopped into the car to drive away for the last time. Turning the key in the ignition the radio came on and Billy Idol affirmed "It's a nice day to, start again".

I managed to fit in "Alice in Wonderland" with my brother last night. Oh, the infinite ways I adore this movie.  I watched the original version several times growing up-it was one of a very few children's stories with a female heroine who was an adventurer-but most of the philosophy of it was quite lost on me at the time. Burton's version though is visually beautiful and the adaptation very Tao. I am already scheming to see it again.

"You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are." -Alice

No comments: