Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Gone Ferral

I've been feeling quite awful these last few days but I still went up to the lake with my parents this weekend.

I took the kayak out on Sunday morning. It felt really good to finally dip my paddle in the water and be in my kayak again. As I glided into Creek the First, two brilliantly coloured loons reared up and took flight to warn the rest of the marsh that human season had returned. When I reached the beaver dam there was one Canada goose waddling about all alone. What happened to the rest of his crew? Was he lost, a loner, or purposely left behind?

I sat for a while listening to the birds and frogs singing- amazing so early in the year-and started singing along myself. I made it to the last verse of Joni Mitchell's "Case of You" before I took my eyes off the tree line -always scanning for my fickle friend Fraser crane- and was startled to see three tiny turtle heads poking out of the water alongside my kayak. The moment I spotted them they simultaneously disappeared underwater but I was tickled to be a curiosity in their world. I also spotted two beaver before the wind picked up and things quickly got to chilly to be endured.

On the way home we spotted a big, Big BIG black bear ambling about in a field. He looked mean and scary but I bet, secretly, he likes watching a good chick flick now and then.

Plautdietsch Word of the Day: fe'kjiele = beat up

1 comment:

lwoodmass said...

This is beautiful! Thank you for sharing your insights. Your way with words had me sitting in your kayak. Love! Leona