Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Four Round Corners

I thought it would be lovely to eat my breakfast outside, in the sun, on the patio this morning. Fortunately I also thought it would be nice to read a book while I ate because I also locked myself out of the house. Barefoot. In my PJ's. So I spent the morning reading, waiting for my mother to come home for lunch. When she finally arrived my mother chided me for not going to the neighbour's to use the phone. When I pointed out that I was dressed and smelled like a hobo she insisted this was no excuse not to rush over and ask for help.

Due to the same faulty doorknob system (who invented push button locks?) this is not the first time I have locked myself out of a house in my PJ's. Once while I was dog sitting, and not having a cell phone, I wandered the neighbourhood in a thunderstorm in search of a payphone. I eventually had to resort to calling my ex who showed up with his new, perfect, uberb*tch (that's what she was called in our circles-though not until the moment of this story, by me - until this particular moment in time, I tried to like her, I even defended her dammit) girlfriend. Giving me, in my muddy wet PJ's the once over she sneered, "What have we here?" At  precisely this moment I turned around to see the great big albino boxer I was supposed to be dogsitting through the patio doors, squat and take a gigantic crap. Yes, I thought, that sums up what we have here quite nicely.

So all things considered this morning's incident was really inconsequential though it did make me late for the yard work I promised to do for my grandmother this afternoon.

This evening we met my Aunt and Uncle at the local pub for trivia night. Aside from being great fun, this was a fantastical phenomenon I never thought I'd experience in my lifetime. When I was growing up the town was dry and the bar was located 1 mile outside of town limits. A couple of years ago the town voted to allow liquor sales in town limits so you can now have a glass of wine with your meal like civilized people might, though from what I can determine the meal with your glass of wine is mandatory so it's still more restaurant than a pub. You may however have to contend with a zealot or two pacing outside the establishment spewing condemnation or prayers for your sinning soul but think of it as ambiance.



Plautdietsch Word of the Day: geschehet (pronounced ye-shayat) = behave

2 comments:

lwoodmass said...

Darling...you made me laugh out loud, and I'm by myself. I practically peed myself laughing about the dog story hearing it the first time...it happened again! Sawney Beans IS the new pub in town. Hope you enjoyed it. You can even have a glass of wine with your lunch. You don't even have to wait for the after work happy hour! Yeah! We've come a long way baby! Love that you're here!

Cosmic Gladiator said...

I not only enjoyed it but I'm thinking of treating myself to lunch there one day soon (when I finish my last certification perhaps). They have Gluten Free items marked right on their menu (heart). I hope you'll (be able to) join me!