Sunday, January 30, 2011

Easy People

"You will love Asia," says the well kept, middle aged Chinese business man seated across from me. He owns the "Old Town Hostel", a renovated European colonial style building that is as neatly kept and comfortably pragmatic as its owner. The Greek pillars and whitewashed facade looked inviting from my patio seat so I crossed the street, after finishing my wine, to inquire about room rates and availability if I decide to take an extra day to visit Phi Phi Islands. "In Asia we are very easy and everything is simple, even traveling."

"Well, in Thailand maybe, that isn't exactly how I'd describe Indonesia," I say.

"Oh, you've been to Indonesia?"

After I explain that I'm teaching there, he says, "Well, I think this might be because they are Muslim. But still it wasn't always so. They used to be very easy going too. I think maybe the difficulty now is they are wealthier and send their children to study in the Middle East and when they come back they have certain ideas." I nod appreciatively though I don't recall crossing paths with anyone privileged enough to have had such an education.

"What do you teach?"

I tell him and then add, "But I'm hoping to teach in Thailand next year."

"Can you teach high school?" He asks.

"My experience has been with teaching adults ESL, children with learning difficulties and primary school, but I would love the opportunity to work with teens." It would, I think, round out my CV quite nicely.

"Well, I also own a school, a special school with an English program, here in Phuket. Maybe you can teach there. You would have maybe a week or two of classes to learn Thai culture and language, nothing difficult, before you teach."

I tell him that sounds really good.

"Send me your CV and we will see," he says handing me his business card before turning his attention to a Chinese Canadian from Vancouver who has brought him a bottle of whiskey for a New Year's present. I make arrangements with the girl at the front desk for a room and a ferry ticket for tomorrow before lugging my bag of books back to my hostel, then hiring a motorbike to take me to Wat Chalong.


No comments: