Saturday, January 1, 2011

Auld Lang Syne

I make it back to the hotel in time for the complimentary breakfast -omelet, bacon and OJ.

Stacy and I watch "The Hangover" and I manage to sober up, then fall asleep, by noon.

When I wake up late in the afternoon I remember that I need to charge my Blackberry but it, and the charger, are nowhere to be found. I search everywhere and find my charger and camera case sticking out of Adik's bag. I suppose I could open her bag to see what else might be hiding in there but I can't bring myself to do it.

Instead I head out to find a bank machine and some greasy nachos to soak up my hangover but when I get to the machine my bank card is gone.

When Adik comes back from an afternoon of shopping, I tell her I can't find my phone. I tell her I also don't know how I'm going to get to Surabaya to catch our plane because I have no money left and no bank card.

She accuses me of leaving my bank card in the machine in Labuan Bajo. "You always do that! I see you do that always!" I gently agree that I am forgetful sometimes but I do remember putting my card inside my wallet and my wallet inside my bag.

Her face goes blank and she stares off into the distance. She gets up to check her bag.

"Where's my camera!" she exclaims.

I shrug. "I don't know. I found my camera case hanging out of your bag but it was empty."

"Oh no," she laments, "all my pictures. Gone."

"Well," I say still trying to figure out how I'm going to pay for my bus ticket to Surabaya, "hopefully I'll be able to get the one's off of my camera and I can send them to you."

Stacy loans me a few hundred thousand rupiah until we get home and suggests to Adik that she may have left her camera at the bar.

"It's worth checking," I tell her. "I'll wait here while you go ask."

She leaves but isn't even gone long enough to make it out the hotel lobby before she returns, declares that it isn't there and we should leave.

We don't sit together on either of the buses and she clutches her yellow back pack to her like it's a life preserver all the way back to Batam.

No comments: