Sunday, September 5, 2010

A Case of Kamu

In celebration of the holidays I bought a bottle of what passes for wine here. I bought it at the grocery store, but because Muslims don't drink my options were limited to well, this:




Like everything else here that isn't spicy, it's sweet. Very sweet. And bubbly. And Mr. Principal insisted on buying Ms. Yeni and me three more bottles. Which is probably a good thing because there's only 5% alcohol in it and so far I'm not feeling any effect. Ms. Yeni is Muslim and is afraid to drink it and so has left me here alone with four bottles. I can feel the ten pounds I've lost coming back already.

Bahasa Indonesia Word of the Day: kamu = you

Update: Ms. Yheni came over yesterday and tried some. She declared it was not sweet. She screwed up her face and saud, "Sour." We argued about that for ten minutes but she was quite adamant that it wsa sour and made her chest burn. Later she said, "It is like 7-Up." Yup, that's it exactly. Still she was adamant that 7-Up tastes sour.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So - do you want us to try to mail you a bottle of wine or two??

Cosmic Gladiator said...

How much do I love you for offering! But I should be okay. I can buy wine a ferry ride away in Singapore. I have a free trip to Singapore coming up on the 14th so I'll check out the selection and let you know if the situation here gets desperate.