Sunday, August 1, 2010

Heaven

A few weeks ago the Diva and I were discussing a book/movie "The Five People You Meet in Heaven". It's an interesting story (I've only seen the movie) by the same author of "Tuesdays With Morrie". The basic concept of Five People is that we, in the course of living our lives, effect people around us often without even knowing who they are or how our actions or choices have affected them.

Yesterday my mother returned to my hometown to attend the funeral of the man who built the Cabana where I have spent much of my last five summers and all of this one. He died suddenly and relatively young and, while he and I have never met, this bit of shelter that he built with his own two hands in the midst of the boreal forest has impacted my life in ways he most certainly could never and will never know.

This place allowed me to reconnect with my love of nature, brought me closer to my own center, and inspires me while at the same time protecting me from a life lacking in, well, a true understanding of the cycle of life. For these and other impacts I might never even truly comprehend. I owe this man I've never met, and never will, a debt of gratitude and thanks beyond words.

No comments: