Sunday, August 29, 2010

Dear Ndugu

My parents have taken to sponsoring children through aid organizations now that my brother and I have long left home leaving them with disposable income. One of the first was Feng-Feng Wang, a little girl from China. "I really wanted a boy," my father told me, "but did you know that in China parents will sell girls to perverts. That's just not right." He was genuinely shocked by this revelation. I was genuinely shocked that this, or any of the innumerable ways women, including Western women, continue to be abused, oppressed and exploited, would be news to anyone.

In this TED talk one of my favourite fictions writers, Chilean author Isabelle Allende talks about passion, nice people with common sense and why feminism still matters. Please share it.

No comments: