Tuesday, May 3, 2011

What the ...?

"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it." 
-- Jack Handy
A bunch of barbarians dance in the streets on news of the death of a cave dweller. Watch your back Obama, it's no secret where you live and I fear revenge really is a great motivator for the worst of human kind. But I guess now that America has exacted its own, it's clearer what company your nation keeps.

The eeriest part of the Osama celebrations is how Americans are being quoted as saying, "Now we have closure" or "Justice has been served" or "I'm glad that our nation is safe because of this."Actually you've just turned him into a martyr. The world is no safer now than it was before 9/11. Of course the world on 9/12 wasn't any more dangerous than it was on 9/10 either.

Read a history book. Human beings have always killed each other. I'd have to do a bit of research and calculating but I'd be willing to bet America ranks somewhere in the top ten for politically motivated kills abroad (particularly when you adjust for it's youth). The world, I fear, will never be safe from you or your enemies.

Almost as disturbing to me is that a nation of idiots (in the original Greek meaning of the word) granted a tyrannical miscreant majority rule over the nation I was once so proud to call home.

Why Quebec? Why? Is this your new strategy to be granted a separation? "We'll just make them suffer so they won't want us their deciding the government and they'll finally let us go." Or was it your European sensibilities, loving the idea of a politician laid back enough to visit a massage parlour, and with enough guile to pretend he didn't know? Please say it's the latter, because that's comprehensible to me.

You know, the thought of staying home this fall had crossed my mind but it seems even more inhospitable now.

No comments: