Thursday, October 14, 2010

I Am a Star, A Big, Bright Shiny Star

I have a new roommate, who is fantastic to the enth. If she hadn't shown up when she did, with her two years of classroom teaching experience, I think I might have quit three times over. But, she is here now and reassures me all the stuff my kids do, and don't do, is normal and I'm not a failure as a teacher, so I'm still here putting in 12 hour days, six days a week and genuinely enjoying every minute of it. Even the parts where the classroom spirals into chaos. Probably, especially those parts.

In Math class on Tuesday, the Kleenex Kid came running up to the front of the class and asked, "Ms., is Canada as fun as you are?" If only they knew how much work it takes to trick them into thinking they're having fun when really they're, ewww, learning.

When I do take a break an adventure inevitably breaks out. A trip to the western style grocery store two weekends ago looked like this:



The funny thing is, we didn't ask to take their picture, they spotted us and within seconds of walking into the place we were the star attraction. All the dancers whipped out their camera phones to have their pictures taken with the exotic bules and so after they hammed it up for us to take their snapshots.

Last weekend we had an invite from the owner of the Rose, my favourite pub, to stop by for drinks. This turned into an evening with some Singapore businessman in a private karaoke room. I must confess I don't remember much after our trio sang Meatloaf's "I would do Anything for Love" but there is something to be said for owning the karaoke machine all night even if the song choices are limited.I do feel badly for not calling the gentleman in the morning, though he gave me his card, and I know that I will, awkwardly run into him again, this being an island and all, but frankly I tried numerous times to reject his drinks and he wouldn't hear of it so, what's a girl to do?

No comments: