Friday, July 2, 2010

O Canada

O Canada
You know I will always be grateful to you,
like a child to a benevolent parent
for days like today:
spent swimming in the pristine waters of a virtually empty beach
and
a hike along a forest trail with fossil sightings and blueberries for the picking.

There was a local grown dinner of rosemary new potatoes, asparagus and bison
with fresh strawberries and German wine.

There were fireworks and sparklers.

This accident of birth has afforded me immeasurable blessings and opportunities.

But Canada,
my true patriot love, once glowing and proud, has dwindled and died.
With every soldier who comes home in a body bag
and
every voice of protest silenced in a society you still tout as democratic,
you break my heart a little more.

Still, today's your day,
and I will raise a glass
and drink to all my
hopes and dreams for better times ahead.

No comments: